Friday, September 18, 2009

A215 is underway!

Activity 1.1!

(response to a piece by Raymond Carver about real life getting in the way of writing and priorities)

Like Carver, I can blame domestic chores for getting in the way of just getting on with it. I also allow myself to think that it matters whether or not I have the right pens, pencils, notebooks or even computer screen in front of me. In the past I have spent pointless time and money on those things rather than just grabbing the nearest piece of paper and whatever writing implement is closest to hand. My latest (and grandest) fantasy is to build a beautiful, glass-walled pavilion in the garden, where I will sit, in splendid isolation, writing my Pride and Prejudice for the 21st century. Happily, I read this extract from Carver's 'Fires' before the foundations had been dug!

No comments:

Post a Comment